My son just turned 16 years old.
What? I know, right? I am certainly not old enough to have a 16 year old. That is what happens when you have a baby entirely too young.
I have learned some things from being his mom, and here they are.
- I worry all the time.
- I never feel like you have done enough.
- I will never love anything as much as I love him.
- He will not go to sleep when I think he should- EVER.
- He will have his own thoughts and ideas; completely independent of me.
- He will find things interesting that bore me to tears.
- There is no one in the world who is more handsome.
- There are never enough hugs.
- I really don’t want him to drive, it just does not seem safe.
- It is hard to separate his needs from his wants. (I want to give him everything!)
- His taste in music annoys me to no end.
- He really does not care what shirt I want him to wear.
- He has strange ideas regarding a balanced diet. (Really? Ramen again?)
- He really wants me to let him go to Japan.
- He will always ask to drive, even if I don’t want to let him drive.
- I enjoy the time I get to spend with him more than anything else.
My son is the most important person in my life. I love him so much that to try to describe it would be ridiculous. I am so proud of him, and he is such a special young man.
I want him to grow up and be anything he wants to be. I want him to use his skills and talents to leave a mark on the world. I want him to be comfortable being himself.
So, my familiar refrain: I am a lucky girl. Somehow, I got to be this kid’s mother, and I am so happy that I did.